Saturday, November 28, 2015

Chomsky on Dead White Male Science

Chomsky savages another outrageous idea of the Postmodernist left:
“ … the entire idea of ‘white male science’ reminds me, I’m afraid, of ‘Jewish physics.’ Perhaps it is another inadequacy of mine, but when I read a scientific paper, I can’t tell whether the author is white or is male. The same is true of discussion of work in class, the office, or somewhere else. I rather doubt that the non-white, non-male students, friends, and colleagues with whom I work would be much impressed with the doctrine that their thinking and understanding differ from ‘white male science’ because of their ‘culture or gender and race.’ I suspect that ‘surprise’ would not be quite the proper word for their reaction.” (Chomsky 1995).
Good on you, Noam.

There is a reason why – even if I sometimes strongly disagree with you – you have my respect.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
Chomsky, Noam. 1995. “Rationality/Science,” Z Papers Special Issue
http://chomsky.info/1995____02/

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that. Chomsky has always been good on this stuff. I wonder though if he has more, many more, students and colleagues who feel differently today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I talk privately with other leftist/liberal college students the majority are social democrats who are progressive on social issues and are freaked out by PM nonsense (even if they don't know what it's called per se), and would be much more inclined to agree with Chomsky here than not. The more radical PMs are in the minority but tend to be very vocal and more active in political groups thus giving them power disproportionate to their numbers; they're well-intentioned idiots, mostly.

      Delete
    2. Well intentioned witch hunters? This seems mostly about enforcing conformity. Well intentioned is not the phrase that springs to my mind.

      Delete